Cool, sharp and stylish…they’re just some of the words you’ll be feeling if you choose to hire your prom outfit at Moss Bros Hire this year. Our prom fashion guide will explain everything you need to know from what tuxedo to choose and how to wear your accessories.
First thing’s first…You need a smart dinner suits, also commonly referred to as a tuxedo (tux). We have the widest range of dinner suits on the high street for all shapes, sizes and budgets, as well as a wide selection of co-ordinating accessories.
Wearing ‘black tie’ for a school prom is made up of the following items of clothing :
- A dinner suit comprises of a black, one, two or three button jacket, usually single-breasted and has either silk or satin lapels, pocket flaps and matching trousers with silk or satin edging running down the side seams. Go for a one or two button for a much more contemporary and stylish look.
- The cummerbund, is a broad pleated sash, worn wrapped around the waist over the top of the waistband covering the shirt. The cummerbund is optional but it’s a great extra that will make you feel as cool as Daniel Craig.
- The Bow tie or dickie bow , usually co-ordinates with the cummerbund and comes either as a self-tie, a ribbon of fabric tied around the collar symmetrically into a bow shape, or pre-tied with a clip on. A bow tie can be worn with either a wing collar or plain collar dress shirt. You can go crazy with the accessories and co-ordinate with your prom date. Check out the newly launched Ventuno 21 Prom accessories range for a selection of slick bow ties, waistcoats and cummerbunds in the season’s hottest colours.
- Waistcoats are also optional but a great way of injecting a bit of personality into your black tie look. Avoid fussy designs with lots of embroidery, keep it monochrome or just add a splash of colour to look sharp.
- Finally, Don’t let your outfit down with scuffed shoes. Black lace-ups are the best. Give them a good polish until you can see your reflection in them!
Now you’re all clued up. Remember to get measured and fitted properly. This might be your first ever suit fitting, so it’s important to get it right and turn up to your prom looking the part. Have a great night!