Be the man who knows what he’s doing.
BRUSH UP ON A STYLE SKILL
LEARN HOW TO TIE A BOW TIE
• WORDS: C. STEWART
While all our social lives are small-scale at the moment, there will come a time in the not-too-distant future when we’ll have celebrations and black tie events and awards ceremonies to go to again.
Until then, why not put idle hands to good use and brush up on your bow-tie-tying skills? You can thank yourself later.
Have a go using our six-step guide below. It’ll take a little practice to get it right, but the result is well worth putting in the effort.
HOW TO TIE A BOW TIE IN 6 STEPS
- Start with the right side (A) one-and-a-half inches longer than the left (B), then cross it over in front.
- Fold A back and up through the neck loop.
- Fold B back on itself to form the bow’s left loop, laying A over the centre where the knot will be.
- Fold A back on itself to form the bow’s right loop.
- Push A loop-first through the knot behind B.
- Pull slowly on the folded loops to tighten and adjust. And there it is – your perfect bow tie.
Take your time with it, don’t rush and definitely don’t panic that it’s not tight enough. If you over-tighten your bow tie your collar will bunch up and be uncomfortable. If you tie the bow correctly it’ll stay put on its own.
A self-tied bow tie will always be a little asymmetrical and that’s exactly what gives it its character. Master the technique and you’ll stand out as the guy who knows what he’s doing among everyone else with their perfectly-balanced pre-tied versions. And who doesn’t want to be that guy?
SHOP BOW TIES